DEFRA (Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs) wants to know what you think about their proposals to reform the packaging producer responsibility system. These regulations set waste recycling targets for businesses that are responsible for producing packaging (like food containers).
They are seeking views, in particular, on:
- Changing how costs are managed to be consistent with "polluter pays" principles.
- How they can use incentives to encourage the use of recyclable packaging.
- Making recycling labels mandatory on packaging.
- Setting new packaging waste recycling targets for 2025 and 2030.
- Improving monitoring and enforcement of the regulations.
Find out more about reforming the packaging producer responsibility system. The closing date to respond is Monday 13 May 2019.